Saturday, April 29, 2006

First day of Novel and Script Course

First day of the 10-month Novel and Script Course. Some talented writers in the room. There is one chap called Nigel who is wearing a sweatshirt that looks like those UV velvet wall hangings of various heavy metal or mythological scenes that were popular amongst the lower classes in the 1970s. The motif on his sweatshirt is a big human skull. And he has a silver ring on every finger, half of them of skulls, and a big chain of silver skulls around his neck, and silver wrist bands with skulls. What can it mean? I want to ask him, but I don’t know how to do it without causing offence. He brought jelly tots to the class. At least he’s interesting. I have this sinking feeling that this class will not be as cohesive or as fun as the Unlocking Creativity Module.

Roland says we will be filled with anxiety and fear about our novel, and the most important thing is “not to project it on Kathleen and me”. (Kathleen is the other moderator/instructor.) Is he speaking to me personally? Is that what I've been doing? Anyway, it’s too late. I hate him already. No, I don't hate him. But he is unable to finish a single sentence he starts, and he doesn’t seem able to explain anything so that people in the class understand what he’s talking about. It's irritating, but maybe I'm projecting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Free Hit Counters